Spacer
lt_vert_border_slice
projects      
EMERGENCY SITUATIONS

From the Routine to the Extreme

Over the years, we have encountered almost every emergency service call imaginable, from a compressor down on high temperature to a client’s electric motor tripping the circuit breaker. Of course, these emergency situations almost always happen outside of the normal business hours. Since most of our customers operate 24 hours, 7 days a week, we understand the demand for services after hours. Here’s how D & D goes above and beyond to keep your business running smoothly.


Case #1:
We received a call from one of our customers in the woodworking industry. They were facing a major crisis. It was Friday, 2:30 in the afternoon. Their dust collection system was tripping the circuit breaker and wouldn’t take a reset. Since this customer had D & D’s proactive PMPP Program contract, we already knew the model of the electric motor that was needed and our technician checked our stock level before the phone call was even over. We also knew where their electric motor was located - 40’ on top of the dust system without a catwalk. So, we dispatched man lifts and aerial lifts to the site.


When our technician arrived at our client’s plant, he discovered that their motor was burnt out. We called and had a motor shipped from our facility and began the removal of the old electric motor. Our technicians worked well into the night and finished testing by 10:00 that evening. The customer was back in business! Work was on schedule for Saturday, and the Monday deliveries went on as scheduled.


Case #2
Sometimes our emergency services can even be scheduled. One of D & D’s customers operates six days a week, twenty hours a day. Their plant was operating on a natural gas compressor but didn’t have enough back up air, and their current unit was unreliable. The customer purchased a new compressor, but the specifications for the compressor was a large amp draw. Upon inspection, we discovered they didn’t have enough power: they had a 1200 amp 3 phase 480 volt but what they needed was a 2500 amp 3 phase 480 volt.


After inspection, we also realized that the CT cabinet was rated for 2500 amp and had enough power from the transformer, but the transformer as underrated and the breaker distribution was in violation. We quickly designed a new layout for existing distribution, a new compressor, and future expansion. We also went back to the manufacturer of the original equipment and were able to pull up the original order, which provided us with a detailed list and prints of the switchgear. From there, we designed distribution to adapt to the CT cabinet and eliminated the need to install a new one, which saved our client valuable time and money. With the help of local power authorities handling the upgrade of the transformer, this project was a manageable emergency situation. We were able to schedule a Friday afternoon shutdown and expected to deliver power back by Monday morning. Our customer was thrilled when the actual turnaround time took a total of 30 hours.


Case #3
An outside mechanical company came to us with a 400 Horsepower 1100 RPM electric motor that had spun a bearing. Apparently, they had already approached several other companies with their dilemma before contacting us, but no one would accept the job. We didn’t see what the big deal was until we went to the site and found the electric motor down three flights of stairs, enclosed around a maze of air doors. It must have been installed during building construction over thirty years ago!

We did a site inspection and discovered electric motor front bearing and end bell extreme high temperate marking and metal shavings. Our main concern was the 12-sheave pulley that was installed. It appeared as if someone had already tried to remove it recently.

We quickly realized that removing the motor from its location was not an option; we needed a tear down for better diagnostics to assess if the windings were damaged. We preformed a hi pot / surge test to evaluate winding conditions; they checked out, but the front-end frame and bearing was completely destroyed. The end frame and bearing had to be removed and sent back to our shop where we found the OEM of the bearing and machined end bell. We had to press fit the bearing and reinstall it. Upon testing, we took vibration and lubricant analysis and are currently performing preventative maintenance on this unit. The new unit has been in operation since May 2006.